Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Louvre and Hôtel des Invalides

Bonjour! I am nearing one week in Paris, and starting to feel more comfortable living and interacting here. I've met some fantastic new friends from all over the world, and seen some great sights. I'm excited for my apartment to be ready soon, but I am really enjoying my time in my hostel! This is the view from my window....

On Wednesday (after watching the band I posted the video of) I wandered over to the Notre Dame and walked around the grounds for a while. There was a girl singing outside with an absolutely beautiful voice. It turns out she had challenged herself to travel from Athens, Greece up to Edinburgh, Scotland using only the money she could make off of singing. So she was street performing and making enough money for the trip. Really interesting!



On Thursday I walked the few blocks from my hostel to the Louvre....


... and spent the entire day wandering around the Louvre, getting lost and enjoying some fantastic art. There are so many fascinating pieces of art and different exhibits there, and the architecture and design inside the former palace is breathtaking in its own right!


On Friday I walked over to the Hôtel des Invalides....


...which is (to take a description from wikipedia) "a complex of buildings containing museums and monuments, all relating to the military history of France." The grounds were absolutely beautiful...


... and the displays were incredibly interesting. The exhibits on the World Wars were particularly fascinating, as was being able to visit Napoleon's tomb in the beautiful dome chapel.


Sorry I haven't been updating my blog as much as I had hoped, but the internet is down in my hostel, so I have to go to a cafe in order to get online. Right now I am sitting in a little corner Parisian cafe drinking a chocolat chaud (hot chocolate) so I can update.

I hope everyone is doing well in the states, I miss you all terribly!

Lots of love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment