Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Sacre Coeur and a bit of Montmartre

The week before classes started (so we're talking about two weeks ago now) I went to wander around Montmartre a bit. I didn't really plan much, it was just a beautiful day and I was going to go for a walk. I got off the metro at the Anvers stop, and came up smack dab in the middle of souvenir shop upon souvenir shop upon souvenir shop. So I wandered through the street, looking at the rather kitschy stuff for sale, and ended up at the Sacre Coeur. I climbed to the top for an absolutely fantastic view of the city.


I went in the church as well, but there were no photos allowed, so you will have to just take my word that it was beautiful :)

After that I walked through the tourist-packed square where there were dozens and dozens of artists drawing people and doing caricatures (for a small fee of course).


I also made a point to find the Lapin Agile - the famous cabaret that Picasso, Modigliani and others frequented. I didn't go in, quite honestly I didn't even check if it was open, but it was still fun to see.


And then I just wandered around, enjoying the neighborhood and the wonderful weather.


It was a wonderful little day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment