Sunday, September 5, 2010

Wandering about Paris

Hello again!!

I am camped out at the one place near my apartment that has free wifi - McDonald's. Yep, I came to France to eat McFlurries and go online.

I'm going to try to update on my last few days as quickly as possible.... On Tuesday I went to the Musee Marmottan Monet - a smaller museum with a large number of Monet pieces and pieces by artists he influenced, as well as a few other smaller exhibits. It was amazing. It's smaller than the Louvre or the Musee D'Orsay, so you can really take your time and enjoy the pieces without feeling like you'll  never see everything. Alas, they do not allow cameras, so I can't share any of the pieces, so a picture of the outside of the building will have to suffice....


It was a gorgeous day, so after the museum I stopped at a bakery and got a bit of food for lunch and wandered over the the Eiffel Tower to picnic in the park.


After that I spent the afternoon just wandering around....


The next day (Wednesday), I decided I enjoyed my picnic the day before so much that I was going to picnic again. I went to a different bakery and got food and headed out to the gardens in front of the Louvre (the Jardin des Tuileries).


After lunch I walked around the gardens for a while and came upon a fountain with a guy next to it renting out sailboats and sticks for kids to play with. It was adorable and I stayed there for a little while....


Wednesday night I picked up the key to my apartment and spent my last night in the hostel. Thursday and Friday I spent moving in to my apartment - getting my luggage, buying groceries, buying household things like sheets, and just getting settled in my neighborhood.

On Saturday I spent the entire day walking around. I'm not exaggerating when I say I walked for hours. I went by the Arc de Triomphe....


....came upon some of the most stunning views I have ever seen at the Eiffel Tower....


... and wandered in the city center for a while. At night I went to a restaurant and had a bit of wine and a nice meal. It was a pretty good day :)

I'll be perfectly honest, it's a bit lonely at my apartment right now. Classes haven't started yet, so I haven't met people, and it's been hard to adjust going from constantly meeting people at my hostel to being alone in my apartment. But it's getting easier, and once school starts I'm sure I'll think back and treasure these moments of solitude!

I think I'm going to head to Berlin next weekend before school starts, so I will try to update again before I go. I miss everyone back home and love you all so much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment